Monday, July 7, 2008

I Get It, I Get It...Jeez!

I’m no movie critic, beyond just the normal liked it or didn’t like variety that is. Don’t want to be. I go to movies to be entertained, not to marvel at the filmmaker’s use of lighting and cinematography.

So it was a bit surprising that about 25 minutes into Walle, Disney-Pixar’s new film, I began focusing less on the cute little robot romance, and more on the overt political messages that somebody took great care to cultivate. For me to notice, gentle readers, it had to be heavy handed

For those of you without kids, or who may not plan to see the movie, let me give you the Bill Filer attention span challenged crib notes:

#1) Having a big heart (even a robotic one) trumps big problems every time.
#2) We’re trashing the planet
#3) People (presumably Americans) are allowing themselves to become fat and lazy
#4) Big corporations are evil

My little guy liked the movie. It was cute and very well done as you would expect from Disney, don’t get me wrong. But it was preachy. Very preachy, indeed.

No comments: