Monday, August 18, 2008

Things They Don't Teach In School

Kid stories abound on blogs. It’s a perfect venue for sharing how brilliant and unique our offspring can be. Reading about Little Johnnie and Little Suzie can be entirely entertaining or tedious. It’s a fine line. Accordingly, I try not to fill this space with entries on my little guy. I can’t resist it today, however.

Sunday evening we took a stroll down the street. Weather was perfect and the sun was on its way down. He’s still young enough that I get to hold his hand sometimes. It was a great way to wind down on Sunday. As we’re walking, there was a cat in the neighbor’s yard. It was focused on something in the grass, pawing at it.

We stood and watched for a minute. I asked my little guy what in the world that cat was doing. He told me he’d find out. My six year old proceeded to bark at the cat for a few seconds. After that, he began to meow at it.
I must have had a look on my face when he finished.

“He’s hunting crickets. I told him to stop because he looks like a dog burying a bone. Don’t worry dad, I have a small mammal accent. He understood me.” Then he was off down the street.

Small mammal accent…My son is a mammal whisperer...who knew...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bill, this is precious. Love your blog . . . I'm a big fan! Missed you at the reunion. Hopefully, next time. Love, Bonnie