Thursday, April 23, 2009

Meaness Quotient

Seven kids at soccer practice. Before the hour is over, four end up crying.

One because a young man was told three times to "quit that and pay attention." I used a rather emphatic tone and clear, concise dialog on the fourth time that yielded tears. Buckets of them.

The other three to injuries: one kicked foot, one tweaked ankle, and one ball to the face.

That's a 57% cry ratio, and it's not like we were scrimmaging the Missouri Department of Correction's varsity squad or anything. It's just practice.

That's my best work to date. Really proud.

Breaking the 60% mark was my goal and we're pretty early in the season. I can smell the Coach's Hall of Fame from here. Better get started on my acceptance speech.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dare I ask how old these kids are and why they are being sent to practice a sport when they haven't yet learned the art of being boys rather than babies?