Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hum????

Need some guidance gentle readers.

When I posted this entry back in 2006 ("Our goal is to be published songwriters, with a cut on the radio, by the time we are 40. 1,541 days to go."-originally posted August 8, 2006), I assumed the process would work like this:

Inspiration=Song=Demo=

Publisher=Artist=Recording=Cut

As per my usual, however, I didn’t drill down to specifics.

Didn’t think about such things as does it matter who the artist is, what about a self-published song, does the radio station need a minimum wattage amount to qualify, or does it need to be a reporting station. These things matter…or do they?

“Do The Math” goes into rotation at KNMO 97.5 FM in Nevada, Missouri on Monday.

Good right? Technically, it’s our song, picked up by an artist, released as a single, and being played on the radio. Should I care that it’s a self published song, recorded by my brother, being played on a station that requires you to be across the street at the Sonic to get signal?

Accepting this as the successful completion of the goal somehow feels like cheating. Yet not acknowledging it diminishes the event entirely, making me an ungrateful yelp. See my conundrum? Can you see the smoke and hear the gears grind from there?

I’m happy for Chris. Really. No interest at all in putting on the artists pants myself. Not even to try them on. But I celebrate with him today at the news. How fun is that?

Hey, I asked for a hamburger only. Now I’m complaining cause I got one with onions. Maybe, the next time I ought to be a bit more specific…

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. That's all I got.

Anonymous said...

I say celebrate!! It counts. I'm excited for you both.... HOORAY!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you should chalk that one up as complete and set a new goal, upping the ante a little.
Congrats. I remember "Do the Math" from WAJ last year. Great tune.
Later,
kerry