Thursday, May 29, 2008

Be Verrrry Quiet. We're Hunting Rrrrrabbbit!


Little guy turns six today. Birthday time.

We camp and get outdoors as much as we can. Evan loves that kind of stuff. So, I picked up a starter bow and a couple of dull-tipped arrows for him last night.

You would have thought I bought the kid his very own Stinger missile. Gracious.

What ensued next was a discussion over my outdoor prowess and man-skills pertaining to hunting and gathering. The words “my son” and “not” and “no way” came out of my spousal unit’s mouth a lot.

Look, I plan on hunting deadly hay bales, when in season of course, and maybe the occasional very elusive tree stump. It’s not like me and the little guy were going to buy some land in Idaho and start a compound swearing off pre-packaged food and cable TV. Ease up sister. Every boy should have a bow. It’s like a man rite or something.

She had the audacity to ask me if I even know how to shoot one, alluding to my soft hands, office work, and artist sensibilities. What the heck does that mean?

Boys, I believe she just man-checked me…..That ain’t right.

Artist sensibilities? That’s it. I’m going to start spitting on the floor and punching out toll booth attendants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You need to scratch things more. That's the proof of manhood I see around the Q house.